22nd Multi-Cultural Festival this weekend
From staff reports
The 22nd annual Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival will feature three days of food, fun, entertainment and activities at City Park in Parkersburg.
This year’s festival runs Friday through Sunday, with free admission all weekend. The hours are 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
The festival will have a Native American theme on opening night Friday. The main stage will kick off with Native American musician Kevin Lock at 6:30 p.m. followed by Traditions of Native American Culture at 7:45 p.m.
Among the entertainers featured through the weekend will be Brady Young, Phillipine Medical Association of West Virginia, West Virginia Highland Dancers, Lydia Hyde, Ugata, Mystical Arts of Tibet and a variety of others.
Other festival activities available at different times include a free children’s activity center, the North American Bushcraft School with primitive skills exhibits and demonstrations, a baby care area and fairyland offered by Mamaology, information from Hidden Marietta, a flute workshop by Kevin Locke, crafts and activities by the Parkersburg Art Center, W.Va. Ghostbusters, plant medicine workshops, a belly dance workshop and bubbles by Professor Bubblemaker.
The Arts In Motion (AIM) Stage is an expanded venue for local artists and performers during the festival. The stage will feature dance demonstrations and lessons, drum circle participation and other activities. The festival also offers many arts and crafts vendors and food concessions with international fare and diverse cultural offerings.
More information can be found at movmcf.org.
The schedule of activities includes:
* 6 p.m.: Opening Ceremonies (main stage)
* 6:30 p.m.: Kevin Locke – Lakota Hoop Dancing (main stage)
* 7:45 p.m.: Traditions of the Native American Culture – Education of the Drum & Dance (main stage)
* 11 a.m.: Brady Young Acoustic – Acoustic Soloist (main stage)
* Noon: Philippine Medical Association of WV – Philippine Dance (main stage)
* 12:30 p.m.: West Virginia Highland Dancers – Highland Dance (main stage)
* 1:45 p.m.: Ugata – African Drumming and Dance (main stage)
* 3 p.m.: Lydia Hyde – Acoustic Songstress (main stage)
* 4 p.m.: Samadhi – Bellydance (main stage)
* 4:30 p.m.: S.H. Kang’s Tae Kwon Do Academy – Korean Martial Arts (main stage)
* 5:15 p.m.: Mystical Arts of Tibet – Tibetan drumming and chanting (main stage)
* 5:45 p.m.: Kevin Locke – Indigenous Hoop and Flute (main stage)
* 7 p.m.: Creative Flame – Tribal Fusion Fire Performance (main stage)
* 7:30 p.m.: Dum Rhythm Celebration – Turkish Style Darbuka/Dumbek Drumming (main stage)
* 8:30 p.m.: Creative Flame – Circo-Gypsy Fire Performance (main stage)
* 9 p.m.: Bella’s Bartok – Eclectic Eastern European Music Group (main stage)
* Noon: Interfaith Prayer
* 12:30 p.m.: The String Fellas – Spanish Jam Concepts (main stage)
* 1:30 p.m.: Kevin Locke – Indigenous Hoop and Flute (main stage)
* 2:30 p.m.: Dum Rhythm Celebration – Turkish Style Darbuka/Dumbek Drumming (main stage)
* 3:45 p.m.: Corey Shields – Acoustic Guitar (main stage)
* 4:45 p.m.: Brady Young Quartet – Jazz (main stage)