Hidden Places, Secret Spaces event this Saturday
From staff reports
Marietta Main Street is teaming up with the Hidden Marietta Tour Company to host a very unique downtown tour called “Hidden Places, Secret Spaces” which takes guests through typically off-limits sections of Marietta’s historic buildings, such as basements or upper floors.
This year’s tour will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Tickets are $16 in advance or $20 at the door, with all proceeds benefiting Marietta Main Street and Hidden Marietta Tour Company. Advance tickets are available on Marietta Main Street’s website at mariettamainstreet.org.
All buildings on the tour are completely new to this event. Stops include six historic buildings in the 100 and 200 blocks of Front Street, including the Ohio National Guard Armory (241 Front St.), the Ketter Block Building (204 Front St.), the Buckeye Building (200 Front St.), the Plumbers & Pipefitters Local Building (201 Front St.), the Seyler Building (156 Front St.) and the Stanley Grass Building (166 Front St.)
The Ohio National Guard Amory, initially constructed in 1913-1914, has recently undergone several phases of recent renovations, with the gymnasium on the main floor reaching completion this spring. The tour includes the gymnasium as well as rooms on the second and third floor that served a variety of functions in their former lives. In the early 1900s, the Armory building housed everything from a mess hall, firing range, meeting rooms, to social and recreational areas.
The Buckeye Building, built in the late 1880s, was originally built by the Masons, with the Masonic Hall on the third floor. Towards the beginning of the 20th century, the building was owned by Jules Josephy and housed The Buckeye Clothing Company. Purchased last year by the McKenna family, the building is undergoing renovations on all three floors.
Recently purchased by Luke and Katy Sulfridge, the Stanley Grass Building is an expansive piece of Front Street property with a history that stretches all the way back to the 1860s. While many residents may remember visiting the first floor from when it last housed an antique store, ticket holders will also have a chance to tour upper floors that tell the story of the building’s former lives.
Also on the tour are the second and third floors of the old Seyler Building, now owned by Mahone’s Tires at 156 Front St. Started in 1864, the Seyler business was one of the largest hardware businesses in town, according to Hidden Marietta’s research. Ticket holders will have a chance to hear how this incredible building has been used over the past century and a half.