Meigs Co. man burned in fire

OLIVE TOWNSHIP – A Meigs County man is in serious condition at a Huntington hospital after a trailer fire Thursday night, officials said.

Owen Miller, 50, sustained burns over 45 percent of his body in the blaze, which is being investigated but is not considered suspicious, said Olive Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Russell Carson.

Miller, who lives in the trailer at 51485 Mount Olive Road with owner Rodney Pierce, 65, was pulled from the burning structure by a firefighter, Carson said. Pierce was rescued by a neighbor and suffered smoke inhalation, but no burns, Assistant Chief Clarence Atherton said.

“Several people (were) pretty brave in the rescues,” Atherton said.

The fire was reported at 9:20 p.m. Thursday. Atherton, who lives about a mile-and-a-half away, was one of the first on the scene.

“One end of the trailer was fully involved,” he said.

The fire started in Miller’s room, Carson said. Pierce “just said he heard a loud noise and looked up and saw a lot of fire,” he said.

Miller had made it about midway through the trailer when he was discovered, Atherton said. He was flown by medical helicopter to Cabell-Huntington Hospital.

Initially, Miller was listed in critical condition, but a nursing supervisor at the hospital said Friday he had been upgraded to serious.

Atherton estimated it took about 15 minutes to get the fire under control.

The trailer is considered a total loss.

In addition to Olive Township, the Chester and Tuppers Plains volunteer fire departments responded.

The Ohio State Fire Marshal is assisting with the investigation.

Carson said there were smoke detectors in the home, but Pierce said they were not working. The fire chief said that should serve as a reminder for people to check the batteries in their own smoke detectors, especially with the time change this weekend.