Marietta man sentenced for chase, crash

CHAD PLAUCHE-ADKINS The Marietta Times Brandon Marshall hears Judge Mark Kerenyi's sentence Tuesday in Washington County Common Pleas Court.

A Marietta man was sentenced Tuesday to 90 days in the county jail and two years community control for a June police chase that ended in a crash.

Brandon Marshall, 30, of 636 Ninth St., was observed by a Marietta officer using his phone while operating a vehicle in the 200 block of Pike Street.When the officer attempted to pull Marshall over for the infraction in the 100 block of Seventh Street, he fled police by continuing down Seventh Street.

During the pursuit, in which speeds reached approximately 70 mph, Marshall ran a stop sign at the corner of Seventh and Warren streets and struck another vehicle driving through the intersection before fleeing the scene on foot. There were no injuries in the wreck and Marshall turned himself into authorities a short time later. He pleaded guilty to the fourth-degree felony charge of failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer in October.

Public Defender, Shawna Landaker said Marshall had a limited criminal history that was primarily traffic events and that Marshall’s feelings about the incident should be taken into account when sentencing.

“He is very remorseful,” she said.

Washington County Common Pleas Judge Mark Kerenyi asked Marshall why he would make the mistake of fleeing from the police when he was just looking at two misdemeanors of driving on suspended license and using a cell phone while driving.

“I was scared,” Marshall said. “I wasn’t thinking at the time…I have to do what I need to get better.”

Due to the fact that Marshall had a small criminal record and no prior felonies Kerenyi sentenced him to two years community control and 90 days in the county jail with 10 days credited. Also, Marshall’s driving privileges have been suspended for three years.

Washington County Assistant Prosecutor Amy Graham said she and the public defender suggested the sentence that Marshall received to the judge just before the hearing started, but was still amazed by Marshall’s actions.

“It was a very dumb decision,” she said.