Toys on display
The Toy and Doll Museum at 206 Gilman Ave. in Marietta currently has on display wooden toys from the Fisher Price Toy Co. dated from 1930’s. The company was formed in 1931 in East Aurora, N.Y. Principal partners were Herman Fisher, Irving Price, and Helen Schelle. Margaret Evans Price, Irving’s wife, was one of the first toy designers for the company.
Toys were constructed from number one ponderosa pine and decorated with brightly colored lithography. Despite the depression the new company was a success.The company was sold to Quaker Oats Co. in 1969. The company still lives by the motto created so long ago, “Our work is still child’s play.” The collection remains on display till end of October.