General Buell House to 1830

Hon. Salmon Buell from Ithaca, New York, father of Salmon D. Buell and Perez Barnum Buell, purchased all of lot 3 and parts of lots 4 and 5 in Cat’s Creek Allotment (240 acres) from Enoch Wing in December 1814 for $3,500. (Vol. 13, p. 82) Norris Schneider’s History of Lowell and Adams Township says the Buell House was “a large, square brick house on the river bank opposite the south end of Market Street. The Buell house was the one later known as the Dutton House.” Schneider credits the Buell brothers with building the house, but this is probably incorrect. H. Z. Williams’ History of Washington County, Ohio, states, “Enoch Wing improved the farm and built the house now owned by Hanson Dutton.” (p. 559) Wing owned the land from 1798 to 1814, so the house would have been built between these years. It was at the extreme southern part of lot 5 overlooking the Muskingum River. By 1817 Hon. Salmon Buell and his wife moved to Marietta. They spent their later years in Cincinnati.

On August 23, 1817, Salmon and Mary Buell “of Marietta” sold all of lot 5, excepting the part north of Cat’s Creek, to their son, Salmon D. Buell, for $1,500. The deed was not recorded until March 22, 1841. (Vol. 31, pp. 594-95) This deed really didn’t matter since lot 5 was included in a deed made in 1821.

In 1817 Salmon D. married his cousin, Eliza Buell, daughter of Timothy Buell of Marietta. In 1818 Perez B. Buell married Elizabeth Rector. According to the History of Lowell and Adams Township, the two brothers, Salmon D. and Perez B., and their families shared the large, square brick house. There were three children born in this house to Salmon D. and Eliza Buell: Don Carlos Buell, born March 23, 1818; Sally M. Buell, born February 26, 1820; and Aurelia A. Buell, born February 27, 1822.

On August 27, 1821, Salmon D. Buell purchased more land from his father. The land included all of lots 3, 4 and 5, except the parts of lots 4 and 5 north of Cat’s Creek, for $3,000. (Vol. 17, pp. 361-62) Of the original 240 acres purchased in Adams Township by Hon. Salmon Buell in 1814, his son, Salmon D., owned everything by 1821. Salmon D., however, had to make a contract with his father on October 1, 1821. In order to secure a special bail of $2,000 in U.S. Court, Salmon D. promised to make “a deed of that farm lying in the township of Adams . . . being lots No. three & No. four . . . ” He stated that he would deed this land to his father “when I get lot 5.” (Vol. 21, p. 479)

In 1823 the Muskingum Valley experienced its worst epidemic on record. Williams lists 121 people buried in Mound Cemetery who died during a three month period from July through September in Marietta and vicinity alone. (pp. 427-28) No attempt has ever been made to determine the number of deaths in the surrounding areas of the county. One of the victims was Salmon D. Buell, age 29 years. He left a widow, Eliza; son Don Carlos, age 5; Sally M., age 3 ; and Aurelia A., age 1 .

Soon after his father’s death, young Don Carlos Buell was sent to live with his uncle, Col. George P. Buell, of Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Eliza Buell sold her dower right to lots 3 (100 acres) and 4 (about 70 acres) to her brother-in-law, Perez B. Buell, on November 24, 1825, for $10. (Vol. 19, p. 196) On February 14, 1826, Eliza received her dower of 7 acres of the southern part of 22 acre lot 5 (including the brick house) and 6.22 acres of the southern part of 78 acre lot 5. (Probate Record 3, pp. 420-21) On April 20, 1826, she married Hon. George Dunlevy and moved to Marietta. The History of Washington County, Ohio, says Don Carlos spent his boyhood with relatives in Lawrenceburg, “with an intermission of about five years passed in Marietta under the roof of his stepfather, George W. Dunlevy, esq[uire].” (p. 228) George and Eliza had four children born in Marietta from 1827 to 1835.

Starting in 1826 in Washington County, the tax records often list the value of a building on a lot. From 1826 through 1831 the Buell house was valued at $325 on 45 acre lot 5. It was taxed in the name of “Salmon Buell Heirs” from 1826 through 1831. Beginning in 1832 it was taxed in the name of P. B. Buell.

Something happened regarding the land transfer, which is not clearly explained in the records. The next owners, or at least part owners, of lots 3, 4 and 5 were George P. Buell, Almira Dunn, Joanna Pierson and Gertrude Dill (four children of Salmon and Mary Buell).

On December 5, 1830, George P. Buell, John P. Dunn, Almira Dunn, Joanna Pierson, Alexander H. Dill and Gertrude Dill sold lot 3, and lots 4 and 5 except the parts north of Cat’s Creek, to Barnum P. Buell for $1,000. (Vol. 21, pp. 479-80)

Perez Barnum Buell was slowing acquiring the different interests to the land that would soon become Buell’s Lowell.

“Phillip L. Crane, a Waterford resident and Marietta history teacher for 32 years, will share stories of historical events that occurred in the Lower Muskingum Valley. His column will appear every other week.