BARLOW TOWNSHIP-A 7 p.m. fire all but destroyed the home of Dave and Rose Warden at 2668 Barnett Ridge Road in Barlow Township Thursday.
The Wardens were not home at the time of the blaze that witnesses said seemed to have started in a breezeway or carport between the single-story house and the garage.
By 8 p.m. there was little left of the garage, and flames were still shooting through the roof of the home.
SAM SHAWVER The Marietta Times
Flames and smoke emanate from the Dave Warden home that was heavily damaged by fire on Barnett Ridge Road Thursday evening.
"Dave and Rosie were in town at the hospital, visiting their daughter, Missy, who just had their new grandson," said Carrie Richards whose daughter lives in a mobile home next door to the Warden residence.
Carrie's husband, Dale Richards, said he could see the smoke from their home on Barth Road.
"There was really black smoke pouring into the air at first," he said.
Barnett Ridge Road fire:
- The home of Dave and Rose Warden on Barnett Ridge Road in Barlow Township was destroyed by fire Thursday evening.
- More than 40 volunteer firefighters from Barlow, Dunham and Warren townships, as well as deputies with the Washington County Sheriff's Office, responded to the scene.
- No one was home at the time of the blaze. The American Red Cross and Ohio State Fire Marshal's Office were notified.
Ron King, who lives just up the road from the Warden property, made the initial call to 911.
"My wife and I heard this popping noise - it sounded like gravel being thrown against something," he said. "Then I saw this heavy black smoke. The popping noise must have been the roofing shingles catching fire. At first I thought it might be the mobile home next door, but then I saw it was Dave's house."
King said the garage went up in flames in minutes.
"Flames were coming out of the roof and something blew out the garage windows," he added.
More than 40 firefighters from Barlow, Dunham and Warren township volunteer fire departments responded to the blaze, according to Barlow Fire Chief Troy Eddleblute.
"It's a total loss, but no one was injured," he said. "We did have about a half dozen firefighters who suffered some heat exhaustion-the temperature outside was above 90 degrees."
Eddleblute said one overheated fireman had to be transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital.
"I did call the state fire marshal's office, and they said someone will be here Friday to investigate," he said. "We've also notified the Red Cross-the family will be needing some assistance."
Deputies with the Washington County Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene.