A Macksburg woman died Monday afternoon as a result of injuries suffered in a Sunday evening fire.
The Caldwell Fire Department responded around 4:30 p.m. Sunday to a house fire at 325 First St., the home of 79-year-old Myrtle A. Holley. The fire caused severe damage to the first floor of the home and badly burnt Holley, who had apparently started the fire with a cigarette, said Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks.
"She was on oxygen and she was smoking, and the thing apparently caught on fire. Before they could get her out of her clothes she was burnt severely," said Mincks.
According to a report from Washington County Sheriff's Office, Holley had suffered second- and third-degree burns on 80 percent of her body.
Holley was transported to Marietta Memorial Hospital and then life-flighted to the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, where she died Monday afternoon as a result of her injuries.