50 years ago
Marietta College's classroom building at the corner of Sixth and Putnam streets has been named Mills Hall in memory of the late William W. Mills and John Mills, brothers who were college trustees and local businessmen. The college purchased the former Marietta Chair Co. office building in 1948, and converted it into facilities for the sciences.
100 years ago
The Steamer Wm. Edenborn, now nearing completion at the foot of Gilman Avenue, is being equipped with a powerful engine made by the Marietta Manufacturing Co. This boat is designed to tow steel barges loaded with cars across the Mississippi River at Angola.
Compiled by Linda Showalter, Marietta College Special Collections.