- The observance of Holy Week at First Congregational Church includes the following services:
Palm Sunday, April 13: The choir will lead the congregation in the annual Palm Processional marking the beginning of Holy Week observances. Palms are given to all present and worshipers will have the opportunity to fashion them into crosses to take home.
Maundy Thursday, April 17: members and friends of the church will gather at 5:30 p.m. for a soup supper sponsored by the Church Council. Following the meal at 7 p.m. worshipers will move to the sanctuary for the 'Office of Tenebrae' literally meaning 'darkness. As hymns are sung and readings about the events of Jesus last hours progress through the service, candles are extinguished eventually leaving the sanctuary in darkness. Holy Communion will be celebrated during the service.
Good Friday, April 18: First Congregational Church is the second stop for the Community Walk of Christian Witness which begins at St. Luke Episcopal Church at 12 noon. The Walk proceeds to Christ United Methodist Church, First Presbyterian Church and on to the final stop, St. Marys Church where the annual pantomime of The Stations of the Cross will be presented.
Easter Sunday, April 20: Celebration of the Resurrection. Join the people of First Presbyterian and First Congregational at 7 a.m. on the porch of First Congregational Church as we sing and celebrate and watch the world awaken to the Easter sunrise. The service includes a brief message followed by Holy Communion. In the case of inclement weather, it will be held indoors. Following the early service all are invited to gather in the church fellowship hall for a potluck breakfast. Beverages and paper goods provided. At 10 a.m. the Resurrection celebration continues with special music, hymns, and the Easter message "it's You!" presented by the Rev. Linda Steelman.
As always, we welcome new friends and those who worship with us regularly. For information call the church at 373-0741 or email: email@example.com
- The First Presbyterian Church Chancel Choir will present a Palm Sunday Concert on April 13 at 7 p.m. in the sanctuary.
The choir will be performing Schubert's Mass in G. This Mass was written in less than a week in 1815. During this year, Schubert wrote more than 20,000 bars of music, including eight other church works, a symphony and 150 songs.
The performance will feature Nicole Futoran, Dr. Daniel Monek and Dr. Doug Anderson.
The concert is free to the public. There will be a free-will offering to support the Gospel Mission Food Pantry.
For information: 373-1800.
- Gilman United Methodist Church will be conducting special services for Holy Week:
On Palm Sunday, April 13, the Choir Cantata will be at 10:30 a.m., Behold the Lamb, A reenactment in song of Jesus' Passion Week journey as he enters the gates of Jerusalem, to the Upper Room, to the Garden of Gethsemane, through the trial, the crucifixion and to the glorious empty tomb. The children will participate in the Procession of the Palms as the choir sings of Jesus' Palm Sunday entrance into Jerusalem.
The Maundy Day Thursday Service will be at 7 p.m., The Day Before He Died: A reenactment of the Lord's Supper and Jesus' arrest. Come and experience these final hours before Jesus was arrested and partake at the Lord's Table.
The Good Friday Service, April 18, will take place at 7 p.m., The Office of Tenebrae. Tenebrae means darkness, reflecting the great darkness on the earth the day Jesus died. This is a simple, but powerful service reflecting the great love of our Lord. Come and experience the gift of God's of love for us, in Word, Song and Light.
The Easter Sunday Celebration, April 20, "Transformation" will begin at 10:30 a.m. The Easter message will celebrate the transforming power of our God, who transformed Jesus' death into eternal life, who transforms caterpillars to butterflies, who transforms the bitterest winters into spring, who transforms us from death to life. Come, celebrate and experience the Easter transformation power of our Lord.
- Beverly-Waterford churches will hold joint services at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and on Good Friday during the weeks of Lent. Area ministers will exchange pulpits to bring a message. Carolyn Plummer will provide special music and serve as song leader. On April 18 at Beverly United Methodist the speaker will be the Rev. Tom O'Connor.
Maundy Thursday services will be held April 17 at 7 p.m. with communion at the Marietta First Church of the Nazarene located at 100 Mill Creek Road. The public is welcome to attend.
- Sand Hill United Church and Hills United Methodist Church will be holding a Maundy Thursday Service, followed by Holy Communion, at 6 p.m. April 17 at Sand Hill United Methodist Church, 725 Sand Hill Rd, Reno .
A Community Sunrise Service will be held at the Marietta Township Community Building on Sand Hill Road, Reno at 7 a.m. on April 20, followed by breakfast. Music will be provided by Steve and Beverly Pottmeyer and Pastor Wendy Erb will deliver a brief message The Sand Hill United Methodist Church and the Reno Christian Church invite the public to attend.
Easter worship services will be held at the respective churches at their normal times. For more information call: 373-8712.
- A special service in observance of Easter is planned for Sunday, April 20, at Twin Rivers Baptist Church, 110 DAV Road, Whipple.
The morning worship service will begin at 10:30 a.m. with church pastor, Jeff Baumer, bringing a special message focusing on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Special music for Easter will be presented by the church's adult choir. A special musical selection by the Adult Ensemble is also planned.
Sunday school will be at 9:30 a.m. with classes available for all ages. The evening service will begin at 6 p.m. Easter Sunday.
A special Easter series of messages on "The Seven Sayings of the Lord Jesus Christ From the Cross" is being presented by Baumer on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. and Sunday evenings at 6 p.m. prior to Easter. He will focus on one saying each service.
Visitors are always welcome at the church's services.
The church is on DAV Road, off Ohio 821, just 300 yards north of Exit 6 of Interstate 77.
For more information: 376-0440.
- The Watertown Presbyterian Church Easter Sunrise Service will be held at 7:30 a.m. on April 20. It will be followed by a free community breakfast at the Watertown Fire Department on Ohio 676.
- Parr Hill Community Church on Ohio 7 in Beavertown will have its Easter Sunrise Service on April 20 at 8 a.m. Breakfast sandwiches will be served. Sunday School will be at 9:30 a.m. The Sunday evening service will be at 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.