ELIZABETH, W.Va. - Williamstown's Mac McCormick made the alltourney team while Huntington St. Joe freshman Josef Dransfeld and Roane County junior Cam Moore easily could've earned medalist honors during regulation play here Friday at the Wirt County Invitational being played at the par 72 Mingo Bottom Golf Club.
However, both golfers finished their rounds with respective 1-over par 73s and headed to the island green, par 3, 10th to try and settle the individual champion.
Although neither golfer managed to reach the 10th in regulation, Moore had the advantage when his ball hit nearly flag high and spun back into the fringe. Dransfeld's tee shot went just left of the green and he had to pitch on. Despite not getting a good strike on his birdie attempt and then missing about a 10-footer for par, Moore was able to grab medalist honors with a bogey after Dransfeld failed to get up-and-down and then had to settle for a double bogey.
JAY W. BENNETT The Marietta Times
Williamstown’s Mac McCormick carded a 78 and earned all-tournament status at the Wirt County Invitational played at the par 72 Mingo Bottom Golf Club Friday.
"I haven't been playing very good," admitted Moore, who helped the Raiders post a winning team score of 307.
"I was pretty pleased with how I played. It wasn't bad."
Of course, Moore left shots on the course and one of those was during his three-putt on No. 14. As it turned out, Dransfeld could've finished with an even par 72, but got a little unlucky during his final hole - the par 5, 18th. After crushing a drive and then hitting an iron from 170 yards to within 4 feet of the pin, his putt stayed just outside the hole as he missed eagle and tapped in for an easy birdie.
Results at Mingo Bottom Golf Club
Invitational, par 72, (6,615 yards)
Medalist - Cam Moore (Roane County) 73*
* Denotes won medalist on first playoff hole
All-tournament team - Josef Dransfeld (HSJ) 73, Cole Moore (Roane County) 74, Riley Allen (Ritchie) 75, Caleb Moore (Roane County) 77, Mac McCormick (Williamstown) 78, Alex Easthom (Ravenswood) 78
1. Roane County A (307) - Cam Moore 73, Cole Moore 74, Caleb Moore 77, Hunter Thompson 83, Dalton Simmons 100
2. Ritchie County (338) - Riley Allen 75, Ben Knight 82, Jon Harkness 88, Austin Garrett 93, Sydney Brill 98
3. St. Marys Purple (342) - Drew Wells 81, Coleman Lamp 82, Jared Nichols 86, Bino Baxter 93, Michael Stout 107
4. Huntington St. Joe (345) - Josef Dransfeld 73, Rainel Lansing 83, Fuzzy Vance 93, Kylie Day 96
5. Williamstown (359) - Mac McCormick 78, Chandler Weber 89, Chase Smith 94, Dalton Smith 98, Siara Deem 106
6. Gilmer County (365) - Colby Cunningham 82, Karibee Steele 85, Jacob Arden 86, Haley Wanstreet 112, Lucas Tanner 138
7. Tyler Consolidated (373) - Nathan Kemp 84, Ty Pratt 86, John Lancaster 99, Kaleb Tanley 104, Cheyenne Morris 104
8. Ripley (383) - Wes Withrow 86, Justin McKown 90, Derek Hill 100, Elijah Riffe 107
9. Wirt County (411) - Alex Sears 84, Kenny Radcliff 105, D.J. Thorn 108, Austin Stuttler 114, Cody Foutty 139
10. Ravenswood (413) - Alex Easthom 78, Jon Watkins 97, Carson Fox 97, Logan Nelson 141
11. Wahama (435) - Mason Hicks 88, Nathan Redman 94, Logan Bissell 126, Bekah Groves 127
12. Roane County B (443) - Ben Daniels 90, Allie Kendall 97, Sierra holocomb 122, Jerrod Hildreth 134, Chase Starcher 138
13. Buffalo (450) - Nick Whittington 93, Tyler Sowards 103, Matt Hines 113, Devin Rich 141
14. Braxton County (460) - Josh Skidmore 89, Brent Dittman 108, Amber Barker 124, Hunter Drake 139, McKayla Moore 144
15. Clay County (518) - Colton Moore 120, Zack Dorsey 128, Seth Stover 132, Nate Schoolcraft 138, John Carroll 138
16. St. Marys Gold (533) - Jillian Keller 117, Orv Taylor 133, Matthew Stillson 140, Chase Correll 143, Cameron Frame W/D
17. South Harrison (N/A) - Tanner Simons 104, Logan Carpenter 106, Jeffery Wright 126, Marshall Woodall W/D
Cam Moore, who nearly aced the 10th during regulation play when he spun the ball back and had it roll just over the lip of the cup, joined fellow teammates Cole Moore (74), Caleb Moore (77) and Hunter Thompson (83) to account for the Raiders' 31-stroke victory versus runner-up Ritchie County, which was led by Riley Allen's 75. The Moore trio, Allen and Dransfeld along with McCormick and Ravenswood's Alex Easthom, both of whom fired rounds of 78, comprised the all-tournament honorees.