From staff reports
PARKERSBURG - The headliners for this year's Parkersburg Homecoming Festival will bring classic country and rock and roll to the city.
Performing Friday, Saturday and Sunday are Restless Heart, Almost Queen: A Tribute to Queen and The Guess Who, respectively.
The three-day festival will also feature a variety of activities, entertainment and attractions in downtown Parkersburg, including the annual Parkersburg News and Sentinel Half Marathon at 8 a.m. Saturday and the Parkersburg Homecoming Parade at noon following the Half Marathon.
Country band Restless Heart is best known for hits from the late 1980s through the early 1990s.
Its hits include "I'll Still Be Lovin' You," "Why Does It Have to B (Wrong or Right)," "Bluest Eyes in Texas" and "Dancy's Dream," among others.
Saturday night's headliners will be "Almost Queen: A Tribute to Queen" features performers Joseph Russo, Steve Leonard, John Cappadonna and Randy Gregg. Russo is a veteran of several Broadway productions and the members have toured with Thin Lizzy, Dee Snider and Angel.
The three-day Homecoming will conclude Sunday night with a performance by classic rockers The Guess Who. The Canadian band is known for 14 Top 40 hits, two of which went to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The band has been active since 1962. It's hits include "Shakin' All Over," "His Girl," "These Eyes" and "American Woman."
The schedule for the 2014 Parkersburg Homecoming Festival includes:
* 6 p.m.: Opening ceremonies (Suddenlink Stage)
* 6:30 p.m.: Froggy 99 Country Showdown West Virginia Finals (Suddenlink Stage)
* 8 p.m.: Barry Gibson and The Acoustic Kings (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* 8:30 p.m.: Restless Heart (Suddenlink Stage)
* 10 p.m.: KLNZR (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* 8 a.m.: Parkersburg News and Sentinel Half Marathon
* 10 a.m.-4 p.m.: Model Railroad Club Open House (601 Green St. Rear)
* Noon: Grand Parade on Market Street
* 1 p.m.: Coloring Contest (Bicentennial Park Stage)
* 1:30 p.m.: Parkersburg Homecoming Corn Hole Tournament (Second and Market streets)
* 1-5 p.m. Pressley Ridge Ice Cream Challenge
* 2 p.m.: Dog Show (Riverfront Park Amphitheater); TheNewsCenter Homecoming Talent Show (Suddenlink Stage); Steve Dixon Magic Show (Bicentennial Park Stage)
* 3 p.m.: Pretty Baby Contest (Ages 0-5 months)(Ages 6-11 months)
* 4 p.m.: Steve Dixon Magic Show (Bicentennial Park Stage); Get Rhythm Karaoke (Riverfront Park Amphtheater)
* 5 p.m.: Pioneer Antique Car Club on Market Street
* 5:30 p.m.: Jana Freeland (Riverfront Park Ampthitheater)
* 7 p.m.: Insured Sound (Suddenlink Stage); Nate DiRuzza (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* 8:30 p.m.: Almost Queen (Suddenlink Stage)
*10 p.m.: Fireworks from Ft. Boreman Hill
* 10 a.m.: Kids Fishing Derby
* 10:30 a.m. South Parkersburg Baptist Church services
* Noon: Pretty Baby Contest (Ages 12 months-3 years) (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* Noon-4 p.m.: Model Railroad Club Open House (601 Green St. Rear)
* 1 p.m.: Soap Box Derby (Market Street); Tiny Tot Trot (Stadium Field at Parkersburg High School)
* 1-5 p.m.: 13th Annual Johnny Staats Bluegrass Festival (Bicentennial Park Stage) featuring The Mud Ducks at 1 p.m., Virgil Harden at 2 p.m. and Johnny Staats and the Delivery Boys at 4 p.m.
* 2 p.m.: High Schools That Rock + Music Makers Club (Riverfront Park Ampthitheater)
* 3:30 p.m.: Anthony Mossburg (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* 5 p.m.: Elev8 Nation (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)
* 7 p.m. Plan B (Suddenlink Stage)
* 8 p.m. Rubber Ducky Drawing (Suddenlink Stage)
* 8:30 p.m. The Guess Show (Suddenlink Stage); River Rock Band (Riverfront Park Amphitheater)