Goals for days: Lady Tigers score 12 times, blank Canton McKinley

DEVOLA – It was raining goals at the Devola Soccer Complex Monday evening.

The Marietta High girls soccer team dominated Canton McKinley in the first round of sectional play, scoring early and often en route to a 12-0 win.

The Lady Tigers had eight different players score a goal, including a team-leading four goals from sophomore Audrey May.

May scored two goals within the first minute of the game and then completed a hat trick in the 21st minute. She added a fourth goal in the first minute of the second half.

Junior Becca Poulson added a pair of goals, while senior Katie Miller, juniors Lucinda Ryder, Alexa Fouss, Gabbi Latture, Beka Haught and sophomore Sami Koons all had a goal apiece.

“It was nice because the girls have been working hard,” said MHS head coach Jeff Price. “They’ve been getting better every game. It was nice to see it all come together.”

In addition to all the scoring, Marietta keeper Nora Gulick did not allow a shot to get past her en route to shutting the Lady Bulldogs out.

The Tigers possessed the ball for the majority of the contest, out-shooting McKinley 29-4.

May got the scoring started right at the beginning, taking a pass from Miller and hitting it off the bottom of the crossbar and deflecting into the goal.

May then scored again 26 seconds later and then again about 20 minutes later, both times unassisted.

With 8:19 remaining in the first half, Poulson made it 4-0 when she scored a goal on an assist from Ryder.

About a minute-and-a-half later, Poulson assisted Fouss on a goal to make it 5-0 and round out the scoring in the first half.

For the second time in as many halves, May scored a goal in the first minute, this time on an assist from Fouss.

Within the next five minutes, Ryder and Miller would each score unassisted goals to extend the lead to 8-0.

Poulson added her second goal in the 53rd minute to make it 9-0 and a minute later Gabi Latture put one in the back of the net to give the orange and black a double-digit lead.

Haught got in the action with 16:08 remaining, finishing a corner kick from Miller to make it 11-0. Koons rounded out the scoring in the game with 2:47 left on an unassisted goal.

Marietta now faces a big challenge in top-seeded Massillon Jackson Thursday at 7 p.m.