Tigers withstand weather delay, pull away from Warren

JORDAN HOLLAND The Marietta Times Marietta’s Hunter Welch (19) battles Warren’s Jaelyn Ludwig for possession of the ball during a high school girls soccer match Thursday at Jerry Brock Field in Devola.

DEVOLA — Marietta High defeated Warren 4-1 in a high school girls soccer match Thursday at Jerry Brock Field, but the final score was not reflective of how the competitive the match was.

The Tigers, now 6-1, led just 1-0 with 18 minutes remaining in the match and just 2-1 with 12:35 to go. However, the orange and black scored two goals in the final 9:24 to clinch the victory.

Marietta got off to a hot start when Kyleigh Lewis scored an unassisted goal in the match’s fourth minute. Lexie Mullen got a shot off that was deflected, and Lewis gathered the loose ball and punched it into the back of the net.

But before the Tigers could turn that momentum into more goals, the game entered a weather delay and did not resume for 50 minutes. Once it did, both teams were unable to get anything going, and Marietta took its 1-0 advantage into halftime.

Warren did have a good chance at tying things up with 13:11 left in the half, but Tori Wittekind’s shot was corralled by MHS keeper Brooklyn Heiss.

Once the second half commenced, Warren again tried to find the equalizer. Macie Smith’s shot was on target, but again Heiss was there to keep it out of the net. Heiss finished with four saves and, outside of Monday’s 4-2 loss to River View, has only surrendered one goal all year.

That came after Mullen’s unassisted goal with 18 minutes remaining. Now trailing 2-0, Warren got possession of the ball and Jaelyn Ludwig was able to get a shot past Heiss to cut the deficit in half. Allison Werry got the ball close to Marietta’s goal but had it kicked away. Fortunately for Warren, Lugwig was there to collect it.

Warren, however, was unable to get the tying score. With 9:42 left in the match, Mullen came up with her second goal of the match on an assist from Courtney Schuck. Schuck’s through ball led Mullen perfectly, who got her shot past Warren goalie Madison Miller. Miller finished with 10 saves.

To cap things off, Schuck tallied an unassisted score from far out to make it 4-1. The Tigers totaled 14 shots on goal in the match, with Warren finishing with five.

The Tigers are off until Tuesday when they travel to New Philadelphia. Warren plays host to West Muskingum Saturday.