Pop Culture Convention at WVU-Parkersburg
From staff reports
West Virginia University at Parkersburg will host the fourth annual Parkersburg Pop Con from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday in the College Activities Center.
The event is a celebration of popular culture comics, costuming (cosplay), sci-fi, gaming and film, and will feature numerous authors, publishers, designers and artists.
Tickets to Pop Con are available at the door. Adult general admission is $5, but children 10 and under will be admitted free with an adult ticket purchase. Veterans and current armed force members showing a valid military ID card will also receive free admittance.
Two of this year’s guest speakers will be: Christian Foster, co-founder of Cos-vets; a group of veterans and cosplayers who advocate cosplay and veterans charities; and Shawn Langley, a southern Ohio comic illustrator and concept artist who is best known for his work on the “Earthruler” graphic novel and “Rapid City: Below Zero” comic series.
The event is supported by the WVU-P Foundation and proceeds benefit the college’s community childcare center, the Center for Early Learning. Proceeds will provide needed learning resources, playground updates, and childcare scholarships to cover childcare costs for WVU-P students’ children while they attend classes.
The schedule includes:
* 11 a.m.: Opening ceremony
* 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.: “Your Junkyard Angel: How to make wings, and other props from recycled goods with Wayward Owl” in Panel Room 1, Room 1535
* Noon: “Magic the Gathering” table top gaming tournament in 1300 hallway
* 1-2 p.m.: Youth cosplay contest (main stage); “Sewing Workshop with Khaleesi Alysie: 5 mistakes you need to stop making if you ever want to be good at sewing” in Panel Room 1; “Pop Con (pop culture) Trivia” in Gaming Galaxy in the cafeteria
* 2-3 p.m.: Adult cosplay pre-judging takes place in the Press Room, room 1532; “Lightsaber Academy” in Panel Room 1; Video game tournament in the Gaming Galaxy
* 3-4 p.m.: Adult cosplay contest (main stage)
* 5 p.m.: Closing ceremony