Marietta #59 O.E.S. chapter receives award
Marietta Chapter 59 OES of Marietta received a GOLD award for an outstanding chapter at Roberts Center in Wilmington, Ohio on Sept. 26. This was a statewide meeting for all Eastern Star members. This was a different Grand Chapter you could only attend by invitation due to the coronavirus this year.
The award recognizes chapter excellence in the areas of charity and community service, chapter social activities, performance of chapter officers and communications.
1. The chapter serves a luncheon on the third Sunday every other month at the Masonic Temple. It is open to the public there is no charge for this but donations are appreciate.
2. A scholarship was award to one of the member daughter that is attending college. The money for this scholarship was given to the chapter by PGP Howard I. Shull estate.
3. Worthy Matron Kathy Wentz and Grand Electa of the Grand Chapter of Ohio Mary Boston visited the shut INS that is not able to get out anymore. The members receive cards when they have illness if it is known and flowers when they are in the hospital.
4. A meal was served by Eastern Star members to the officers and members along with members of the 17th Masonic District that was attending installation reception of American Union #1 F&AM.
5. The officers and members of the chapter donated food items to the Gospel Mission Food Pantry and toys for the Community Action.
Marietta Chapter was one of the many Ohio Eastern Star chapter to be named “OUTSTANDING CHAPTER” at the session. There are many Eastern Star chapters in Ohio. Award winners are selected by Ohio Eastern Star officers and committee members who review reports submitted by the chapter.
Ohio’s statewide Eastern Star organization initiated the chapter excellence program in 2013. This is the 4th year that Marietta Chapter has received statewide recognition for its programs, activities and overall excellence.
The award for the 2019-2020 was an acrylic base for the walnut sound block was the previous year award.
This year at Grand Chapter due to the coronavirus being only one day event. Worthy Grand Matron Margi Wheeler of Gallipolis and Worthy Grand Patron Charles Merckle of Matamoras was very proud of the attendance and the awards that was given to the chapters.