Electrical demo shows danger of live wires
With a shoe and helium balloon caught on fire, local residents got a visual on the dangers of live power lines Wednesday.
“From a training perspective we have multiple industries which deal either directly or indirectly with electricity,” said Tony Huffman, adult technical training director for the Washington County Career Center. “But whether that’s electrical, HVAC or industrial maintenance they all learn about lock out, tag out, this just reiterates why that’s so big in all our programs.”
Washington Electric Cooperative in Muskingum Township hosted about 125 members of the Mid-Ohio Valley Safety Council, of which Huffman is a board member, Wednesday along with nine fire departments Wednesday evening for demonstrations on the dangers of live power lines.
“We’re showing people who maybe aren’t as familiar with the dangers of live wires what can go wrong,” explained Blake West with Guernsey-Muskingum Electric Cooperative. The central Ohio co-op was hosted by Washington Electric to perform live what happens when everyday items from cars in an accident to balloons and kites from children come in contact with live electrical lines.
“We have a great friend and partner out of New Concord working with us and helping with this demonstration,” introduced Jennifer Greene, executive director of Washington Electric.
And with rubber gloves, boots, and long poles both West and Washington Electric’s Jamie Hummerich, set off sparks in the co-op’s warehouse to demonstrate the dangers of power line contact.
He cautioned those present to assume all downed wires are energized and remember that electricity will use the human body as a conductor.
“That’s why if there’s a car touching a downed line, unless the car is on fire, wait to pull the people inside out until you know the line has been de-energized,” said West.
“It’s an important refresher for everyone whether in a business setting or as parents or first responders,” said Gary O’Brien, president of O’Brien’s Safety Services in Marietta. “But especially this time of year as we’re getting more storms and there’s an increase in downed power lines. This drives the point home of what live electricity can do to a human body.”
Many in attendance also saw credits towards worker’s compensation rates for continuing their company education at the event whether they were representing industries along Ohio 7, nonprofits which contract with area laborers or private companies working with industrial equipment.
“We talk about the personal protection equipment we use, too, so as they watch they realize you can’t see, hear or smell voltage,” explained Rob Weber with Guernsey-Muskingum Electric. “We do this program in schools, too, burning a hot dog and showing what happens when a car is energized so maybe people will pause and think through their own actions when there’s a downed line near them.”