Marietta Times to host cruise-in Thursday
From staff reports
The oldies will be rolling in Thursday at the Cruise-In sponsored by The Marietta Times and The Parkersburg News and Sentinel.
The show will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. at The Marietta Times, 700 Channel Lane, Marietta, where there will be ample parking for visitors and participants in the first car show to be sponsored and organized by the newspapers. The rain date is June 27.
If the show is to be postponed, organizers will make an announcement Thursday morning at mariettatimes.com and newsandsentinel.com and on the newspapers’ social media sites including Facebook if the event will be postponed.
Cruise-In will feature old cars and motorcycles, antique drives that have been restored, customized or retromodified. Be prepared to learn what it means when enthusiasts say there’s no replacement for displacement.
The show is open to everyone and all classes of vehicles, said organizer Phil Waterman, circulation director of The Times and The News and Sentinel.
“The Marietta Times and The Parkersburg News and Sentinel are excited to offer a family-oriented evening with entertainment and food,” he said.
Registration begins at 4:30 p.m. on the grounds of the newspaper, Waterman said. Cost to enter is $10 per vehicle.
All vehicles entered will be photographed for inclusion in the The Marietta Times and The News and Sentinel 2019 Classic Car publication slated to be published in July.
Admission to see the cars is free, Waterman said.
“Everyone is invited to the show,” said Publisher Jim Spanner.
“The classic car show is a great opportunity to invite our readers to our newspaper facility,” Spanner said. “Your hometown newspaper has been operating out of 700 Channel Lane since 1969 and continues operations there daily. All are welcome.”
People will be given a ballot to vote for Publisher’s Choice, Peoples’ Choice, Top Car and Top Truck. Winners will receive a dash plaque, Waterman said.
The vehicle with the most votes will be featured on the cover of the 2019 Classic Car.
Those who entered vehicles also will be eligible to win prizes, Waterman said. The prizes include:
* A free wash and wax by Underground Detailing.
* A gift certificate for a tire rotation and oil change from the Sterling Service Store of Marietta.
* A four-tire rotation and balance from Mahones Auto Service in Marietta.
* Two $25 gift certificates from Par-Mar.
* A car washing kit from Matheny’s of St. Marys.
* Two hats and four car wash vouchers from Astorg Ford at Any Time Car Wash behind the dealership.
Among vendors, who also will have door prizes, are:
* Uncle Dan’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream.
* Blue Prints, a foster care organization.
* Rough and Ready Designs of Wingett Run, which makes stained glass items.
* Elenies Food Truck, featuring Greek food.
* The Parkersburg News and Sentinel and The Marietta Times.
* SWC Realty.
Entertainment will be provided by the band Pickin’ on Country from Dexter City. The band will perform during the entire show, Waterman said.