×

Work ongoing on 2018 slips

Several projects from the county engineer were approved by the Washington County Commission Thursday morning.

The first request from Roger Wright, county engineer, was for a new truck. The $32,418 cost of the 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 will be covered by the Motor Vehicle Gas Tax. The trade-in price from Pioneer Chevrolet was $24,281.

Two contracts were signed for landslip repair. The first was a 2019 FEMA slip on Bells Run, with a contract with E.L. Robinson for $39,562. The second was a 2019 FEMA slip on Lowell Hill with a contract with CTL Engineering for $55,784.

Bid specifications for seven landslips were approved at an estimated cost of $368,675. The slips are on Caywood Road, Sandhill Road, Warren Chapel Road and Two Mile Run Road. Wright said FEMA will pay 75 percent while OEMA is set to pay 25 percent.

“It’s the end of all 2018 FEMA projects that the county had designed,” he said. “We still have four projects from 2018 that are large township projects.”

A bid was awarded for asphalt repairs on Barnett Ridge, Bells Run Road and Warren Chapel Road. The estimate was $60,492 with a winning bid of $31,998.

The last of the approved projects was bid specifications for emergency repair of two rock channels on Highland Ridge Road and Germantown Road. The estimated cost of $196,784 will be 75 percent paid by FEMA and 25 percent paid by OEMA.

In other commission news:

• A contract between the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and the Fort Frye school district was discussed by the commission. The contract was for a resource officer for the district.

Major Troy Hawkins of the sheriff’s office said the officer’s salary and benefits would be 75 percent paid by a grant through the Ohio Department of Justice. The other 25 percent will be paid by the school district.

“It will be a new position under the (sheriff’s) criminal division,” Hawkins said.

• Phil Dysard of Palmer Energy and John Leutz of the County Commissioner Association of Ohio spoke to the commissioners about an energy program that would allow them to purchase power from a solar array that would possibly be built in southern Ohio. The solar power would produce 20 to 25 percent of the load. Palmer Energy hopes to have the program up and running by the first quarter of 2022.

• Flite Freimann, director of Washington County Job and Family Services, said the board of a local bank would meet to discuss being a sponsor for the grant applications for the upcoming Buckeye Fields senior housing project.

The entire development team will be introduced Tuesday at 3 p.m. on the grounds of the Washington County Home.

• The low-to-moderate income surveys have been sent out to Devola residents who are to be sewered and many have been sent back, said Commissioner Kevin Ritter. Residents who have not sent theirs back yet can drop them off in front of Putnam Elementary School from 9 a.m. to noon on July 25 or 5 to 8 p.m. July 26.

Ritter said the letters that went out to Devola residents had incorrect dates listed. The correct dates are July 25 and 26 for drop offs. Blank surveys will also be available in case the mailing was lost.

Michele Newbanks can be reached at mnewbanks@mariettatimes.com.

Dates to remember:

• County Home meeting at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at county home.

•Buckeye Fields housing project presentation at 3 p.m. Tuesday on the grounds of the county home.

• Finance committee meeting at 10 a.m. July 21 at courthouse.

• Behavioral health board meeting at 7 p.m. July 23 in commissioner room.

Source: Washington County Commission Clerk.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

COMMENTS