Tigers fall to Bobcats

CAMBRIDGE — Marietta High slumped offensively in the first half and wasn’t able to overcome the slow start, falling to Cambridge 42-20 Friday night.

Cambridge (3-3) threatened to score early, but the Tigers (3-3) got a fourth down stop at the goal line to keep the game scoreless.

Tiger quarterback Corbin Alkire got Marietta out of its own end zone, taking a couple carries to the 30, but the drive stalled there.

The Bobcats got the ball back and, on third and 15, David Moore connected with Justin Bartlett on a slant route. Bartlett broke a tackle and took the pass all the way to the house to put the Bobcats up 7-0.

Cambridge drove deep into Marietta’s territory again later in the half, but the Tigers forced a fumble, which Carson Urban fell on, to come up with a big stop and gain some momentum.

However, Marietta was unable to move the ball. On the punt attempt, the snap was low and Cambridge stopped Tiger punter Sean Fournier short of the first down to get the ball at the MHS 28-yard line. The Bobcats converted the miscue into a 9-yard rushing touchdown by Travon Jeffrey to make it 14-0 with 2:30 left in the first half.

Hoping to cut the deficit in half before intermission, the Tigers made another crucial mistake as Alkire was sacked and stripped of the ball, which Cambridge fell on deep in Tiger territory.

With 12 seconds before halftime, Jeffrey found the end zone again to make it 21-0 at halftime.

Cambridge’s hurry-up offense continued to give Marietta fits in the second half, leading to a another touchdown pass by Moore to make it 28-0 at the 10:07 mark in the third quarter.

Marietta finally got something going on its ensuing drive, with Alkire hooking up with Kory Science on a long fourth down pass. The catch, combined with a targeting call on the Bobcats, put the Tigers into Cambridge’s red zone. The Bobcats, though, bent but didn’t break on defense. On third and two from the 6-yard line, Cambridge came up with an interception of Alkire in the end zone to preserve the shutout.

Urban’s sack of Moore kept Cambridge’s ensuing drive from going far, and on third and long, Cyrus Rhodes picked off a pass by Moore to give MHS another scoring chance. This time, the Tigers cashed in, scoring on a 1-yard run by Alkire to make it 28-7 with 3:04 remaining in the third.

Marietta’s defense nearly got the ball back to its offense as Cambridge faced a fourth and three at midfield, but the Bobcats converted to keep the drive alive. Jeffrey carried the rest of the way, punching it in from the 1-yard line to make it 35-7 with 11:43 left in the game.

The Tigers answered with an 8-yard touchdown run by Tony Munos, cutting it to 35-14 with 8:48 left in the contest.

Marietta gave itself a chance, forcing and recovering another Cambridge fumble on the ensuing possession to set up shop at the Bobcats’ 26-yard line. Donavon Wheeler took a trick play and passed to Reece Gerber down to the 2-yard line to set up a rushing touchdown by Munos to make it 35-20 with 7:39 left on the clock.

The Marietta defense came up big again and forced a Cambridge punt, but the Tigers’s ensuing possession ended in a turnover on downs.

Cambridge put an exclamation mark on the win as Jeffrey ran in for his fourth touchdown of the night to make it 42-20.

The Tigers are back in action next Friday, traveling to take on winless Magnolia.