Fort Frye girls outlast Waterford

Photo by Ron Johnston Waterford’s Riley Schweikert, right, drives to the basket as Fort Frye’s Kiersten Kesselring defends during a high school girls basketball game Saturday at the Harry Cooper Annex.

WATERFORD — Lexie Huck went 3-crazy just before the half.

The 5-foot-5 junior drained three consecutive triples in the last minute to help Fort Frye defeat Waterford, 34-25, Saturday night in a prep girls basketball game at the Harry W. Cooper Annex.

“That was a big boost for us,” said FFHS head coach Dan Liedtke, “because we were just running dry. We were missing shots.”

After Huck’s shooting exhibition, the Cadets led 17-12 and never looked back.

Huck finished with a game-high 12 points, while Hannah Archer added 10. Fort was 17 for 33 from the charity stripe, including 12 makes in the fourth quarter.

“We couldn’t have been good, though (at the line),” Liedtke said. “I don’t think either team did very well at the free-throw line.”

The Cadets made just six field goals (6-30) in the contest, and five of them were 3s.

Fort Frye improved its overall record to 10-2 while Waterford fell to 7-4.

The Wildcats were paced by Cara Taylor and Riley Schweikert, who tallied 8 and 7 points, respectively. Madi Heiner and Kari Carney each netted 5.

“The kids played really well,” said WHS boss Jerry Close. “There were a lot of adjustments that we had to do, and I thought they adjusted well. I’m really proud of them. My kids are always going to play hard.”

Fort overcame Waterford’s slowdown in the first quarter, and led 6-5 on 3s by Liv Schneider and Archer. Taylor (2) and Carney (3) combined to score Waterford’s points.

“They came out and held the ball on us there,” Liedtke said. “We’d just gone through that two games ago (vs. Warren).

“So, basically we just picked up our defensive intensity.”

It went back and forth in the second quarter until Huck started dialing long distance. Her third trifecta came as the halftime buzzer sounded.

In the third quarter, the Cadets scored only three freebies but led 20-18 going into the final period.

Waterford tied the score at 20-all in the first minute on Taylor’s drive to the bucket. But Fort regained the advantage on an Archer freebie and Riley Medley’s deuce.

The Wildcats stayed close, though, until Kiersten Kesselring converted four straight foul shots to make it 27-22 at the 4:02 mark. The Cadets were able to make a dozen freebies in the final eight minutes to keep the Cats at bay.

“It was rather an ugly win,” Liedtke said. “We struggled shooting the ball, which we normally do when we come over here. And we struggled at the free-throw line. But when it came right down to it, we gutted it out. A win’s a win, and we feel good about that.”

Ron Johnston can be reached at rjohnston@mariettatimes.com


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)