OAC quarterfinals: MC women beat Capital, look to upset top-seeded BW

Photo by Ron Johnston Marietta College’s Alexis Enochs (11) drives with the ball during Tuesday’s Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinal game against Capital at Ban Johnson Arena. Marietta won, 53-49.

Marietta College’s seniors came to the rescue.

Marlo Taylor scored 18 points and Alexis Enochs 13 as the fourth-seeded Pioneers rallied from a four-point halftime deficit to defeat fifth-seeded Capital University, 53-49, Tuesday night in an OAC Tournament quarterfinal women’s basketball game at Ban Johnson Arena.

MC non-starter Jill Congrove chipped in with nine markers.

“It’s a big comeback,” said Taylor, who also grabbed a team-high eight rebounds. “Being seniors, me and Alexis wanted an extra game.”

Marietta (14-12) is now scheduled to play at nationally 10th-ranked Baldwin Wallace (24-2) at 7 p.m. Thursday in a semifinal game. During regular-season play, the Pioneers were 0-2 against the Yellow Jackets.

“We’re going to have to defend the 3-point line better,” said Pioneer boss Kole Vivian. “When we played them up there (in Berea), I think they made 16 on us.

“We’re going to go up there and see what we can do.”

Capital (14-12) was paced by Cassidy Bosch’s 13 points and nine boards. Elli Wachtman added 10 markers while Regan Stonerock netted seven points and collected nine caroms. The Crusaders were 0-2 against the Pioneer in the regular season.

“Beating Capital three times says a lot about how our kids have grown up,” Vivian said.

During the quarterfinal tilt, there were eight ties and five lead changes.

Marietta went 0-9 from the field in the first quarter and trailed 10-5. All of the Pioneer points came from the foul line.

“We got off to a very slow start,” Taylor said. “I was getting a little worried that we weren’t going to score in that first quarter. But we finally got one to go, and they started to fall.”

Congrove drained a 3 at the 7:43 mark of the second period for MC’s first field goal of the game, reducing the deficit to 13-12.

“Capital wasn’t making their shots, either,” Vivian said. “And we did a good job at the foul line.

At the 5:37 mark in the second, Camille Cummins converted a pair at the line to give the Pioneers a 16-15 lead. But Cap regained the advantage and led 26-22 at the intermission.

In the third quarter, Marietta, sparked by Taylor and Enochs, grabbed the lead near the 5-minute mark, and had a 38-35 advantage going into the fourth quarter.

The final period was tight the entire eight minutes until Enochs drained a 3, making it 49-45 MC.

With about 4 seconds left, Taylor made a pair at the line to help seal the victory.

“We just had to grind it out,” Vivian said.

Ron Johnston can be reached at rjohnston@mariettatimes.com


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)