“Loads of Love” – St. Luke’s Lutheran Church of Marietta sponsoring a “Loads of Love,” 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Wash-&-Go in the Frontier Shopping Center; bring your laundry and the church will pay and do it for you.
Free concert and block party for the entire community, 4 to 8 p.m., Aug. 25, at 501 Fourth St., Marietta; hosted by First Presbyterian Church; music, inflatables, animal balloons, face painting, chalk art contest, flip for habitat and more; low cost concessions and a dunk tank fundraiser for Washington County’s Homeless Project.
End of Summer Quarter Auction – Kingdom Creations, an outreach ministry of The Marietta Church of God, hosting an End of Summer Quarter Auction on Saturday, Aug. 25, at the church, located at 501 Colegate Drive, Marietta; doors open at 1 p.m.; auction starts at 2 p.m.; to raise money to sponsor families in need this Thanksgiving and Christmas season; an indoor/outdoor event; cost for paddle is $5 and up to two extra for $2 each; door prizes and food; for more information: Candace Bowman at 740-371-4046.
Celebrating 200 years (Sept. 8 and 9)– First Baptist Church of Marietta celebrating 200 years of worship with an open house, an anniversary worship service and a concert; all open to the public; open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8; Traditional and Contemporary Alive services combined for a 10:30 a.m. anniversary worship celebration on Sunday, Sept. 9; Buckeye Travelers Band concert will begin at 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9; First Baptist is located at 301 Fourth St. in Marietta, corner of Putnam and Fourth streets; for more information about the church, visit www.firstbaptistmarietta.com.
Craft show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 20, at Norwood United Methodist Church, 23 Colegate Drive, Marietta; food will be available for purchase; anyone interested in being a vendor, the cost to rent a table is $20 — those interested should call 740-374-5606 and leave a name and phone number in your message and calls will be returned.
“Good Samaritan Free Meal and Clothing Giveaway,” 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., third Saturday of every month, at Faith United Methodist Church, 503 Seventh St., Marietta.
Good News from Christ, radio program, 10 a.m., every Sunday, on WMOA-1490 AM; and on the church website: www.christumcmarietta.org.
88th Annual Labor Day Homecoming Picnic, Monday, Sept. 3, at St. Mary’s Fulda; public invited; Mass at 9 a.m. and dinner served starting at 10:30 a.m. through 1:30 p.m.; carry-out dinners available; corn hole tournament beginning at 1 p.m., weather permitting; children and adult games, 50/50 drawing, bingo and refreshment stand will be available all afternoon; baked goods and homemade noodles available for sale in Fancy Stand; two quilts and many cash prizes given away at raffles; St. Mary’s is located on Fulda Road, seven miles east of Caldwell; signs will be posted.
H.O.P.E. (Helping Other People Endure) — H.O.P.E. is a support group for those who have lost a family member, friend or co-worker to suicide; meetings are the second and fourth Mondays of the month at 5:30 p.m. at The River Family Christian Center, 19025 State Route 339, Waterford; for more information: LeeAnn Price at 740-350-3365.
13 weeks of grief support seminars, presented by St. Paul’s Evengelical Church, Tuesdays, through Oct. 30, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. each morning, in parish hall (social room), 401 Fifth St., Marietta; materials specifically address topics and issues for those who are grieving the death of a loved one; content is Christ-centered, biblical, and non-denominational; presented three-phased: Video, group discussion and personal workbook; GriefShare support can be an especially effective outreach for the grieving person; pre-registration is suggested, however an “open” policy is honored; participation can be at any time during the 13 weeks; competent childcare provided; for more information and pre-registration: Pastor Joe Vasarheli at 740-373-3757, Facilitator Carolyn Becker at 740-585-2087, or Facilitator Becky Moore at 740-336-5704.
Live the Adventure – Royal Rangers, an activity based program for boys and young men in grades kindergarten to 12th grade, offered Wednesday nights from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Fort Harmar’s River of Life Assembly of God Church, 200 Franklin St., Marietta; Royal Rangers teaches boys to have fun while learning leadership skills; a merit based program, camping, rope craft, tool craft, archery, computers, sports and many others; for more information, contact Commander Rick Dostal at firstname.lastname@example.org, 740-885-8151, or the church, Pastor George Gaston, 740-374-8967.
GriefShare program, 12:30 to 2 p.m. Thursdays from Aug. 16 to Nov. 8 in the fellowship hall at Gilman United Methodist Church, 312 Gilman Ave., Marietta; GriefShare gives help and encouragement after the death of a loved one; meets weekly for 13 weeks and is designed to help people rebuild their lives; light refreshments served; participants are welcome to bring a brown bag lunch; program is free and open to anyone who is in need of help dealing with the loss of a loved one; facilitators will be Lucy Scott, Debbie Mincks and Vivian Brown; to preregister (for any session): 740-373-8643 or 740-373-6478.
Christ United Methodist Church United Methodist Women (UMW) has two Circles: an afternoon Circle that meets on the third Thursday of each month at 12:30 p.m. and an evening Circle that meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.; new members welcome.
Free Clothing Closet, 9 to 11 a.m., second and fourth Thursday of each month, at Waterford Church of The Nazarene, 111 Marquis Ave., Waterford; good, clean clothing of all sizes available.
Barlow Library concluding its summer concert series with the gospel group, Crossroad Messenger; group will perform at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24, at the library, located on Ohio 339; public invited to attend this free event; sponsored by Friends of the Barlow Library; questions: 740-678-0103.
Free community meals
– St. Luke’s Episcopal Church serves a free community meal the first Tuesday of every month. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. and dinner is served from 5 to 6 p.m. The church is located at 320 Second St. in Marietta. Parking is available in the church lot off of Third Street. Each month is a different meal, but all meals consist of a homemade meat-based entree (beef, chicken, pork, ham), a side dish (usually pasta-based), and a vegetable (e.g. tossed salad, green beans, spiced carrots, mixed vegetables). If appropriate, rolls may be served with the main meal. In addition, there is a variety of desserts and a variety of beverages. The Community Meal meets the health department’s standards for balanced nutrition, food preparation, and service. For more information, contact Marybeth Peebles: email@example.com, 740-374-6922 (home), or 740-568-8194 (cell).
– 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., fourth Tuesday of every month, First Presbyterian Church, corner of Fourth and Wooster streets, Marietta.
– Daily Bread Kitchen, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., every Wednesday, at St. Mary’s K of C Hall, 312 Franklin St., Marietta.
– 5 to 6 p.m., second Thursday of each month, Tunnel United Methodist Church, Ohio 550 and Coffman Road, Marietta. Handicapped parking is available in the upper parking lot by the church entrance. To request to have a meal delivered within a five-mile radius, leave a message at 740-374-5634.
– Free community meal, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., first Friday of each month, at Christ United Methodist Church, 301 Wooster St., Marietta; free home-cooked meal served in fellowship hall; all are welcome; no charge, donations accepted; for more information, go to www.christumcmarietta.org or call 740-373-1512.
– 5 to 6:30 p.m., second Friday of each month, at The First Unitarian Universalist Church, 232 Third St.; everyone welcome; fellowship hall is accessible and meals offer a variety of healthy choices; for more information, 740-373-1238.
– 5 to 6 p.m., third Friday of every month, at Norwood United Methodist Church, 23 Colegate Drive, Marietta.
– 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., third Saturday of each month, Faith United Methodist Church, 503 Seventh St., Marietta.
– Beverly United Methodist Church community lunch, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., the last Saturday of each month; church is handicapped accessible; call ahead for carryout at 740-984-2100.
The Religion calendar appears each Saturday on the Focus on Faith page. Information to appear in the Religion calendar can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; submitted through the Virtual Newsroom at The Times’ website, www.MariettaTimes.com (click on “Submit News”); mailed to The Marietta Times, 700 Channel Lane, Marietta, Ohio, 45750, Attention: Claire Heiby; or faxed to 740-376-5475. For questions, call Heiby at 740-373-2121, ext. 537. Deadline for information to be received is noon Monday for that Saturday’s edition.