Breaking News
Local Columns

The Way I See It: Marietta was booming in 1900

By Art Smith 3 min read
The first Williamstown Bridge under construction around 1903.

As the new century began in 1900, the area went through phenomenal growth with several large building projects being completed within a few years that continue to shape life in the area 125 years later.

A new courthouse, Catholic church, high school and Ohio River bridge all took shape between 1900 and 1905.

Between 1890 and 1900 Marietta had a huge leap in population. Growing more than 60% from 8,273 residents in 1890 to 13,348 in 1900. The city in 1900 had about the same number of residents as it does today.

The courthouse that we see at the corner of Second and Putnam streets was built early in the decade with construction starting in 1901. Designed by Samual Hannaford and Sons of Cincinnati, the imposing clock tower can be seen from all over town. Most county services were once housed in the structure, including the county jail. Today, county offices also occupy several other buildings around town.

St. Mary's Catholic Church was once located on Fourth Street near the spot where the Williamstown Bridge passes over the street today. After experiencing floods in 1884, 1891, 1895 and 1898 the congregation decided it was time to move to higher ground. The church purchased land at Fourth and Wooster streets. After moving an existing building from the corner lot, they broke ground on June 1, 1903. Construction started and stopped for much of the decade with the church being completed in 1909.

Named a basilica by Pope Francis in 2013, the Spanish Renaissance style church continues to serve area Catholics.

With more families living in the area there was an urgent need for more space for area schools. On Oct. 11, 1901, a new high school was dedicated to serve area students. The school, on Scammel Street between Fourth and Fifth streets, continues to serve area students. It only served as the high school until the "new" school was opened in 1926. It then served as St. Mary's Catholic High School, and then St. Mary's Middle School. It housed one grade of Marietta Middle School for a year during a renovation and is the current home of the Ely Chapman Education Foundation.

As the city grew, it became apparent that there needed to be a way to travel across the Ohio River without using a ferry. Local businesspeople came up with a plan to construct a bridge from the Marietta business district across the river after making a series of tight turns on a steep approach on the Ohio side. The bridge was built from both sides with the structuring cantilevered over the main part of the river so that traffic could continue to pass underneath, the construction site was the location of the first strike by the United Steel Workers in 1902. The 2,440-foot bridge opened to traffic on Sept. 1, 1903, and carried traffic for the next 82 years until it closed in 1985. The current bridge spans the Ohio at the same spot and was built re-using several of the 1903 bridge piers.

Huge new construction projects were likely seen as necessary to serve a population growing so quickly. Never again did Marietta experience such a growth spurt.

Art Smith is online manager of The Marietta Times and The Parkersburg News and Sentinel. He can be reached at asmith@mariettatimes.com

Starting at /week.